Filipstads 400 årsfirande 2011
King Karl IX granted Filipstad its city charter on 6 April 1611, naming it for his son Karl Filip. But the city’s roots go much farther back in time, thanks to the iron and mining industry.

Filipstad as a city

Founded in 1611 by King Karl IX, who named the city after his son Karl Filip, Filipstad is the second-oldest city in Värmland. Although the city lost its charter for nearly 150 years after a raging fire swept through it in 1694.

In the 19th century, a construction boom led to rapid expansion, and transportation to and from the city got a real boost from the Bergslag Canal and the railway through Filipstad. 

Between 1810 and 1861, the population swelled from 560 to 1798.

From primeval forest to prominent mining industry

The region has been home to iron ore mining and iron processing since the 14th century. In fact, this industry was what brought people to eastern Värmland. The mines in Persberg, Nordmark and Långban contained a wealth of natural resources, and foundries, trip hammers and industrial facilities mushroomed around them. In the 18th century, mining expanded as efficient blasting technology became available and water power became a reality through Kristoffer Polhem’s inventions.

By the mid-19th century, Långbanshyttan was one of Värmland’s foremost producers of pig iron. In 1932 the Japanese Navy bought 1500 tonnes of Långban pig iron. The foundry was renovated in 1980–83 and is currently the only preserved foundry near a major mining area in Värmland. Långban has the richest variety of mineral species in the world – 350 of them.

The Nordmark mining village has four big mine areas that have carried out mining in the modern era: Nordmarksberg, Taberg, Värmlandsberg and Finnmossen. The Taberg mines, stretching an amazing 520 m underground, are the deepest in the Filipstad mining district. Nordmark’s Museum describes 700 years of development of forges, workers’ cottages and mining.

Persberg has a memorial stone commemorating the first miners’ strike in Värmland. It reads: “At the Högbergsfältet mines, the first miners’ strike in Värmland broke out on 16 Aug 1869. 300–400 workers participated in the strike.” In Tilas Stoll you can go 25 m through a dark mine tunnel to a brighter cavern.

Famous people from the region:

Franz von Schéele is one of Filipstad’s most important people. He helped found the library, which later became the Bergsskolan school, and the bank in Filipstad.

The Ericsson brothers from Långban:

Nils Ericsson headed construction on several of Sweden’s major canal projects. He was the first head of Swedish Rail and was knighted for his work.

 John Ericsson, one of Sweden's greatest inventors of all time, developed the first functional propeller, the warship Monitor, the first modern fire pump and the hot-air engine.

The beloved poet Nils Ferlin grew up in Filipstad. Since 1975 his statue overlooks the River Skillerälven on the main square, and many people pose for pictures with him. If you'd like to know everything about Ferlin’s life and poetry, we recommend visiting the Ferlin Museum, a part of the Kvarnen Museum in Filipstad.



Related pages