The Mausoleum of John Ericsson

The chapel/mausoleum of John Ericsson(1803-1889) is built in granite and designed by the architect Yngve Rasmussen. The opening ceremony took place 31st of July 1895.
According to his wish John Ericsson was buried on Swedish ground in this chapel. The inauguration took place in 1895, 6 years after his dead. John Ericsson invented, among other things, the propeller and the armour boat Monitor who helped the North Americans to win the civil war in the 1860´s.

"Motherland to John Ericsson" is written in golden lettering above the portal. To honour John Ericssons memory, a yearly ceremonial with speeches and songs take place.
INFO
Place
Organizer
Filipstads Turistinformation
Viktoriagatan 8
682 30 Filipstad
turism@filipstad.se
Name
Östra kyrkogården Filipstad
Address
Nykroppavägen
682 30 Filipstad
Municipality: Filipstad
Andreas Hylthén
Description
Östra kyrkogården/ cemetery in Filipstad at Lake Daglösen. Here rests among others the great inventor John Ericsson in his impressive maosuleum.
Handicap-info:
Man kan ta sig dit med rullstol. Rollstuhlfreundlich
  • Wheelchair
Go back
Filipstad
Visit webpage
John & Nils Ericsson